Friday, June 1, 2012

Baz Luhrman, William Shakespeare and F.Scott Fitzgerald


 As I'm waiting for Baz Luhrmans new film The Great Gatsby like a child waits for Christmas i killed some time with one of hes movies. Williams Shakespeare´s Romeo & Juliet from 1996! Yep, in the 90´s Leonardo DiCaprio was every girls wet dream but who would have known that he ends up to be one of the greatest actors of  his generation?
 Baz Luhrmans style is wonderfully bizzar. Hes version of Romeo and Juliet is brilliant! Even when moving the story to a modern times is not unique at all. We all remember West Side Story. Baz Luhrman just left Shakespearean dialogue the way it was not even trying to make it modern, combining it with brilliant colors ass kicking soundtrack and action.
 I'm not at all against rewriting and filming stories. I'm delighted of finding connections between Shakespeare's Hamlet and Disney's Lion King or Aldous Huxley's Brave new world and Matrix.

 Well check out the trailer of The Great Gatsby:



No comments:

Post a Comment